Skip to Content

Materials That Cannot Be Accepted

While the Collection Management Policy guides the selection and appraisal of materials suitable for inclusion in the University Archives, there are some state records that the University Archives cannot accept. Note that this list is not comprehensive, it is simply intended as a quick reference.


Local Government Records

The State of Texas allows records of local governments to be transferred to one of the Regional Historical Resource Depositories. The University Archives is not one of the 23 approved depositories across Texas so it cannot accept records of local governments. 

The Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) in Austin is the official repository for records created by Hays, Caldwell, Guadalupe, and Comal counties.

Legislative and Individual Legislator Records

Records of state legislators and legislative committees are considered Legislative Working Files and should be transferred to the Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC).  The University Archives does not have the staff or space resources needed to process and provide access to legislative materials, and thus defers to the TSLAC

Personal papers (not including any legislative records) of individuals who served in the legislature do not usually fit within the University Archives Collection Management Policy. If the individual is an alumnus or a faculty member, the papers may be considered based on content; all potential papers will be appraised according to the Collection Management Policy.